Man Linked to 2020 Mount Vernon Shooting Admits to Weapon Charge in Separate 2025 Yonkers Case

A Mount Vernon man previously involved in a fatal 2020 shooting has now admitted guilt in a separate weapons case stemming from a Yonkers incident earlier this year.

Douglas Manggrum IV, 24, entered a guilty plea on Wednesday, Nov. 19, to second-degree attempted criminal possession of a weapon. The charge relates to a June 1 incident in which prosecutors said he waited outside an apartment building on North Broadway and fired multiple shots at an individual as they exited. No one was struck by the gunfire.

Investigators searching Manggrum’s Ashburton Avenue residence nine days after the shooting reported recovering a loaded 9mm Ruger handgun along with two revolvers, according to court filings.

Manggrum had originally faced more serious accusations, including attempted murder. Under a negotiated agreement, he pleaded only to the attempted weapon possession charge and is expected to receive a six-year prison sentence. His attorney, Deveraux Cannick, said Manggrum was willing to take responsibility for the firearm and that prosecutors agreed this resolution was appropriate.

Westchester County Court Judge Melissa Loehr set sentencing for Jan. 14.

Manggrum was also involved in a 2020 shooting in Mount Vernon that resulted in the death of 19-year-old Massad Davis. According to his attorney, Manggrum was riding in an Uber on Washington Street when a group attempted to force their way into the vehicle. Cannick said his client fired in self-defense, striking Davis. The Uber driver sped off, and Davis later fell from the still-open door near South Columbus Avenue. He succumbed to his injuries three days later.

In that earlier case, Manggrum was initially charged with manslaughter and weapon possession but ultimately pleaded guilty in 2021 to second-degree attempted criminal possession of a weapon. He received a three-year prison term and was released earlier this year.

Next
Next

Mount Vernon Neighbors Mobilize to Support Families After Devastating Fire